Behold. The power of a glorious homemade ice cream sandwich!
Bringing smiles and sugar highs to wonderful 4th of July.
Our holiday was a mellow one. I woke up to a surprise delivery of my favorite lola coffee (#heartmelt), then breakfast at LGO, poolside bronzing, a smorgasbord BBQ feast for dinner, then iced tea lemonade cocktails and sparklers in the backyard. Honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day!
Lucky for Chris, the baking bug bit at about 9pm, so I whipped up some chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (my all time favorite). Tillamook recently sent me a few of their ice creams to try, since they are now going to be sold in Arizona (three cheers!). Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, there was no other option to what kind of cheese you would use. Tillamook is hands down the creamiest and most flavorful. I had no idea they made ice cream as well, and I have to say - that vanilla bean is some of the best I've ever had. And I am picky! I want to be able to see tons and tons of bean flecks throughout the entire thing. The ice cream smashed between two cookies? Heaven.
Now that I've tried the staple flavors - oregon strawberry, chocolate mudslide & vanilla bean, I'm ready to graduate to some of their more fun varieties. Marionberry Pie, S'mores & Chocolaty Chip Cookie Dough? YES PLEASE.
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from All Recipies
- 1/2 C. butter, softened
- 1/2 C. light brown sugar
- 1/4 C. white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 C. plus 2 tbl. flour
- 1/4 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 C. quick cook oats
- 1/2 C. semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together the butter, white & brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, then add vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to the wet mixture.
- Hand mix the oats, then chocolate chips.
- Drop about a heaping tablespoon onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove and allow cookies to cool and set for at least 5 minutes before noshing!