Even as I was waltzing down the aisles of the market, I couldn't help but doubt my decision to use coleslaw as a side dish. Alas, the grocery list had been made and there as no turning back.
This recipe makes a lot of coleslaw. So I'd recommend either falling madly in love with the stuff, where you'd want to eat an entire bowl in one sitting, or invite a large group of friends over to enjoy it. I halved the recipe, although then I was stuck with half a cabbage I had no idea what to do with.
Once you've chopped, sliced, diced and shredded all of the veggies you can put them aside to make the dressing. An interesting combination of ingredients, it is the perfect balance of acidity, sweetness and a little spicy bite.
It's important to make as big of a mess as possible while doing all this. Helps the flavor.
Mix well, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving, so the flavors combine. It's so, so good! Brought a smile to more than one coleslaw hater, so I consider it a success. Best served as a side dish to all kinds of summer foods, but my favorite is putting it on pulled pork sandwiches. YUM.
Coleslaw Haters Coleslaw
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sriracha to taste
- Combine the shredded cabbage, onion and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon, sugar, vinegar, celery salt, sriracha, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture.
- Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning - add more salt, pepper, sugar or celery salt if desired.
Yum! That looks good! I'm not a huge coleslaw fan myself - which apparently is a sin when you're a southern girl. I usually do an Asian slaw or I made my own recipe up for a balsamic slaw :)ReplyDelete
Ooo you'll have to share the recipe for asian slaw, that sounds delicious!Delete
This is gonna make your stomach curdle - I LOVE LOVE LOVE coleslaw. Like, could eat 100 lbs of bad diner coleslaw. There's just something about it...sweet, crunchy, salty, sour...mmmm.ReplyDelete
I've gotta try this! The Sriracha in the dressing sounds divine!
Haha! Ugh. Instant stomach ache. The Sriracha helps! Adds a nice kick.Delete
Wow this does look yummy I like coleslaw but I love Sriracha even more what a great spin this would probably add to it,ReplyDelete