Quite possibly the best cupcakes I've ever made. I've been on a big strawberry kick lately (I blame The Coffee Shop), and when my friend Dani mentioned she really wanted to bake something strawberry flavored - I was in. Using frozen strawberries proved to be the way to go, since most markets don't have very fresh options this time of year. I can only imagine what these would taste like using fresh berries in the summer, something I plan to test out.
Yes, they are amateur Sprinkles cupcakes. No mountain piles of frosting, no cute buttons on top (that taste terrible anyway...), but they tasted JUST like the iconic cupcake. Go forth, and bake! Spread a little sugary cheer.
Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes
via Martha Stewart
- 2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, save any extra puree for frosting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla & 3 tablespoons strawberry puree and mix until just blended.
- Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.